JOB OPPORTUNITY: Archival Researcher and Exhibit Curator
In recognition of the 100th Anniversary of the Halifax Explosion, the North End Business
Association (NEBA) is planning an archival photo exhibition to be displayed throughout the
North End Business Association District. NEBA is looking to hire a researcher and exhibit
The successful candidate will be required to:
• Conduct research at the Nova Scotia Archives and other sources to identify photos that
can be used in the exhibit.
• Collect available information on the photos to provide context and a story behind the
photo where applicable.
• Based on location (distribution throughout district), significance, public interest, and
collaboration with home and business owners, select 40 images to be printed, mounted,
and displayed over the 3 month duration leading up the anniversary (Sept 6 – Dec 6).
• Prepare digital versions of the photos and the stories for uploading onto a pre-existing
• Assist with the installation, maintenance, and disassembly of the exhibit.
• May be called upon to represent NEBA at meetings and public events related to the
Halifax Explosion program.
Desired skills and experience include:
• Research experience. Archival research or familiarity with the Nova Scotia archives
considered an asset.
• Knowledge of digital and print technologies.
• Experience curating photo exhibits.
• Knowledge or interest in the North End and the Halifax Explosion considered an asset.
• Ability to manage time and work independently.
• Good communications skills.
• Experience working with on-line platforms considered an asset.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Executive Director of NEBA and will be
supported by NEBA staff. This is a contract position. Total remuneration for this position is
$3,500. All additional project costs will be covered by NEBA, in adherence with our budget.
Suggested breakdown of time:
Research and Selection: 70 hours
Printing, Installation, Maintenance: 70 hours
Digital Content: 40 hours
Meetings, logistics, and member outreach: 20 hours.
To be considered for this job please submit your resume along with a letter of interest
about why you want to work on this project to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 12th 2017.